Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Some final thoughts before the election results

“I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessities and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people, under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.”  – Thomas Jefferson  

In just a few more hours we will know who will be our President for next four years.  Over the last couple of months I have been vocal in my thoughts for ideas and policies which I believe and my support for the candidate which I think most reflects those ideas.  

I have attempted to do so in a respectful manner in which I did not resort to name calling, dismissing thoughts only because of the source, or just calling someone’s idea stupid.    I have pointed out falsehoods on both the left and the right.  I have even corrected my own thoughts when someone correctly showed me I was wrong, on more than one occasion. 

I have shared stories of my conversations with kids and adults, made new friends, both on and off Facebook.   I lost only one FB friend, I know of, because finding out he was a teacher I made a statement I thought teachers were undervalued and underpaid, deserving salaries in the six figures, but we needed to look the impacts of teachers unions as I thought they were hurting the education of our children.    His response was that he was president of the local union at one point and he was un-friending me.   Guess we see what is of importance in his mind.  Not sure how many persons turned off my postings though! 

It seemed that for every person who told me to chill I had more tell me they appreciated what I was doing and enjoyed reading what I wrote.   I was called names, told I was stupid, even that I needed to be checked for syphilis at one point.   It seemed a small price to pay though in the big scheme of things.

I do hope I have gotten persons to think a bit more about their choice this election.    I hope persons think a bit before posting wrong and fraudulent pictures that attempt to deceive rather than inform and  have take a second to think “does this information make sense?”, “do I have any idea what this even means?” before posting such things.  You would be surprised how many do not.  

Here was my pledge and what I expect if my candidate gets elected.   Do you know what you expect from your candidate or will you blindly support a candidate or party no matter what, making excuses and blaming everything but his policies for his failures?

I hope we collectively make the best decision for our future as well as future generations.  I will leave you with one final quote……

“I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That 'all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people' (10th Amendment). To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specifically drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible to any definition.”—Thomas Jefferson



P.S. If Obama wins does anyone have an Obama sign I can borrow?   I have a bet I will need to pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment